Holland America Line Classics Recipe: Dutch Pea Soup Erwtensoep
It’s the first day of fall, and nothing warms the chill in the air like a delicious cup of Holland America Line’s famous Dutch Pea Soup. We serve this tasty treat out on deck on Alaska and Norway cruises to our guests while they admire the icy scenery. This extra-special touch makes watching the glaciers and fjords all the more memorable. From our kitchen to yours, enjoy.
1 pound of split peas, soaked overnight
1 pork knuckle or ham hock
6 ounces diced pork belly
2 cups Rookwoorst
(1 cup diced, 1 cup sliced)
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup leek, diced
1 cup of celery, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup diced Dutch potato
¼ cup celeriac, diced
½ cup celery leaves
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Salt & pepper
Slice of pumpernickel bread
1. In a 6 quart stock pot sauté pork belly and ½ of the smoked sausage
2. Add onions and leeks and a pinch of salt. Saute until translucent
3. Add celery, carrots and celeriac. Saute until softened
4. Add chicken or vegetable stock, diced potato, split peas and pork knuckle
5. Simmer for about 45 minutes until the peas are tender
6. Skim off any foam while the soup cooks
7. For a smoother soup, carefully puree in a food processor or blender in small batches.
8. Saute sliced smoked sausage and garnish each bowl with sauces slices and minced celery leaves
Serve with a buttered slice of pumpernickel bread topped with prosciutto, ham or speck.
Vanilla soufflé- Rudi’s
the only thing missing is the ship,
the pea soup is a favorite of mine, I was often times head of the line on deck for my soup!
Oh the memories, of cruising, I hope to do it again soon.
Love the pea soup! Always so grateful when it’s served out on deck!!❤️❤️
What is Rookwoorst? Also, I have been trying with no success to get the recipe for chocolate whisky cake I had on the Maasdam, can you provide please?
I had to look up Rookwurst. it’s a Dutch sausage according to the recipe I looked at with similar to Bologna flavoring.
This was my late husband’s favorite thing on the ship, the pea soup.
Love your Pea soup. Hope to be enjoying it come May. Just wish there was someplace to buy those little sausages you use. YUMMY!
What is Speck Ham?!