Skip to Main Content

Do I need a visa?

Answer: Some countries require that you obtain and carry with you official documentation, called a visa, before entering that country. It is your sole responsibility to obtain and have available the proper travel documents necessary for your travel, including all associated costs related to obtaining your travel documents. Boarding may be denied if you arrive at the pier without the proper travel documentation, and in that case you would not be eligible for a refund.

Visa and documentation requirements vary by nationality and destination. Please review your itinerary and verify your specific travel requirements. Because governmental travel requirements change periodically, you should check with a visa service or the consulate of each country you will visit no later than three (3) weeks prior to sailing to verify travel documentation.

Visa processing can vary by destination and submission location. It may also be longer during peak seasons or when embassies are closed. We recommend that you obtain all visas as early as possible to assure you are prepared to travel without interruption.

As a courtesy, Holland America Line provides some information as to necessary travel documents and visas. Guests are still obligated to verify such information with the appropriate authorities. The information provided on this site was correct at the time of publishing and is subject to change at any time. You may also contact your travel advisor, CIBTvisas or other local visa services for assistance in determining which visas will be required for your specific cruise based on your nationality.  For CIBTvisas contact information visit Visa Service Provider.

Grand Voyages
If you are sailing on a Holland America Line Grand Voyage please visit Essential Information for visa information.

Traveling to the United States
If you are a foreign national entering the United States you may require a visa or ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) if you are a national of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

We suggest that guests visit for additional information regarding the ESTA and VWP.

ESTA eligible guests will need to print and carry their ESTA application response as it will need to be presented at the pier along with your passport. An ESTA will need to be completed for each family member traveling on the cruise. Travelers who have not obtained ESTA approval should expect to be denied boarding on any air carrier bound for the U.S.

Traveling to Canada
Affecting all Alaska sailings, Alaska tours and Canada & New England sailings that visit or transit Canada:

Guests who are not citizens of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia or New Zealand, may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit or transit Canada. You will be DENIED BOARDING without compensation if you do not hold the proper VISA documents. Canadian officials WILL NOT allow guests to remain onboard while in a Canadian port without proper documentation.

If you are a NON-US or NON-Canadian citizen and are arriving to Canada by air, you may require an Electronic Travel Authority (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada even if you do not require a TRV.

To verify whether your nationality requires a Canadian visa or eTA, please contact your local Canadian consulate or visit this Canadian immigration Web site, which may be useful to determine what is required.

Guests who have committed or been convicted of a crime may not be allowed into Canada. Almost all convictions (including DUI, DWI, reckless driving, negligent driving, misdemeanor drug possession, all felonies, domestic violence [assault IV], shoplifting, theft, etc.) make a person inadmissible to Canada, regardless of how long ago they occurred.

It is recommended that persons who have been charged in the past or who have past convictions obtain the necessary documents before attempting to enter Canada.

To learn more about applying for these documents we strongly recommend you visit the following website for details: Read more about applying for these documents.