From a Pumpkin Swiss roll to Pumpkin French toast, make these fall favorites at home
Seattle, Wash., Nov. 22, 2022 —Pumpkin is a beloved flavor of fall that evokes warm feelings of friends, family and the holidays. This Thanksgiving, Holland America Line is sharing four delicious recipes to be served on its ships for the holiday and that can be made at home where pumpkin is the star: Pumpkin Swiss Roll, Pumpkin Brioche Buns, Pumpkin French Toast and Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin.
“Pumpkin is the ‘it’ flavor of fall and adds a nice essence to these recipes that have many variations,” said Michael Stendenbach, vice president, food, beverage and rooms division. “Guests often ask us how to make the dishes we serve on board, so we enjoy putting out these recipes that can be made at home, bringing a little bit of Holland America Line to their own kitchens.”
Guests on board a Holland America Line cruise this week also will be enjoying these dishes on board. Whether part of Thursday’s Thanksgiving feast or a special treat another day, everyone can savor the flavors of Thanksgiving this holiday season.
PUMPKIN SWISS ROLL
All Purpose Flour (sieved) 1 ½ cups
Baking Powder 1 ¾ tsp
Baking Soda 2 ½ tsp
Cinnamon (ground) 2 ¾ tsp
Ginger (ground) 2 1/8 tsp
Nutmeg (ground) ¾ tsp
Cloves (ground) ½ tsp
Salt 1 ¼ tsp
Sugar 1 ¾ cups
Pumpkin Puree 1 1/3 cups
Vanilla Extract 1 ¾ tsp
Cream Cheese (softened) 3 1/8 cups
Butter (softened) 1 1/16 cups
Powdered Sugar (sieved) 2 1/16 cups
Vanilla Extract 2 1/16 tsp
Salt 1 2/3 tsp
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 F (190 C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and sugar together. Whisk in pumpkin puree and vanilla extract until smooth.
4. Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
5. Pour batter onto baking sheet and smooth with a spatula. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven.
6. Carefully remove cake from pan by holding onto the parchment paper. Roll cake up, short end to short end, Let cool completely.
1. Mix together all ingredients until smooth.
2. Unroll cake and spread the filling. Roll cake up, peeling back the parchment paper as you go.
3. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Dust with powdered sugar. Slice and garnish with Almond Tuille.
PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST
Brioche Bread 20 slices
Pumpkin French Toast Mixture:
Pumpkin Spice 3 2/3 tsp
Sugar 2/3 cup
Whole Milk 4 ½ cups
Honey 1/3 cup
Powdered Sugar (sieved) 1 tbsp
Butter (melted) 1 1/3 cups
Maple Syrup (warmed) 2/3 cup
Cinnamon Butter (whipped) ½ cup
Candied Pecans ½ cup
Dried Cranberries ¾ cup
Butter 1/2 cup
Salt 1/8 tsp
Powdered sugar 1/8 cup
Honey 1 tbsp
Vanilla 1/3 tsp
Cinnamon 1 1/2 tsp
1. Heat grill.
2. Mix all ingredients for the Pumpkin Spice French Toast Mixture using wire whisk.
3. Dip the sliced bread in Pumpkin Spice French Toast Mixture.
4. Butter the grill and lay the sliced bread on the buttered grill.
5. Allow to cook and then turn over.
6. Serve on a large white plate.
7. Dust the bread with powdered sugar and drizzle with maple syrup.
8. Garnish with candied pecans and cranberries.
9. Beat all Cinnamon Butter ingredients together until smooth.
10. Serve with cinnamon butter on the side.
PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS
Dark Brown Sugar 1/3 cup
Ground Cinnamon ½ tsp
Unsalted Butter ¼ cup
All Purpose Flour 2/3 cup
All Purpose Flour 1 ¾ cup
Baking Powder 1 ¾ tsp
Baking Soda 2 ½ tsp
Salt 1/3 tsp
Cinnamon (Ground) 1 ¾ tsp
Pumpkin Spice ¾ tsp
Dark Brown Sugar ½ cup
Sugar ½ cup
Pumpkin Puree ¾ cup
Vegetable Oil ½ cup
Milk 1/3 cup
Vanilla Extract 1 1/6 tsp
Cream Cheese ¾ cup
Egg Yolk 1
Vanilla Extract ½ tsp
Sugar 1/8 cup
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 C (350 F). Spray silicon muffin mold with pan coating.
1. Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter together in a small bowl until combined.
2. Add the flour and use a fork to gently mix until crumbs form. Don’t over-mix into a paste. Just mix until it is crumbly. Set aside.
1. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin spice together in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, pumpkin puree, oil, milk and vanilla together.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk or stir until combined. Do not overmix.
1. Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
2. Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla extract, and sugar until combined.
3. Pipe pumpkin muffin batter into the silicon mold (about1/4 full).
4. Pipe cheesecake filling on top (about a TBSP.)
5. Top with more pumpkin muffin batter. Some cheesecake filling may poke out of the top or on the sides.
6. Sprinkle crumb topping onto each, then press it down into the tops of the muffins to help prevent it from falling off as the muffins bake.