Traveling & Staying Healthy
Informed by leading scientists, medical experts, and health authorities, these protocols apply to the entire cruise experience. Our Health and Safety measures will be continuously evaluated and adjusted based on the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic as well as the availability of new prevention, therapeutics and mitigation measures.
Planned Health Protocols
We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. Review our current Cruise Updates, Health & Safety Protocols and CDC Travel Advisories.
HEALTH SCREENING AND EDUCATION
- Pre-booking and pre-travel health advice readily available to guests, crew, and travel advisors.
- All guests and crew will undergo enhanced pre-embarkation health screening. This will include 100% testing prior to boarding, health questionnaires and touch-free temperature checks.
- Those identified at risk will undergo an additional health evaluation by medical staff and may be denied boarding.
- Health checks will continue throughout the cruise for guests and crew.
- Rapid response and contact tracing plans are planned for every cruise in case of onboard illness.
ENHANCED SANITATION PROCEDURES
- Expanded disinfection methods using emerging and advanced technologies that are proven effective against coronavirus and other germs.
- Routine use of a safe disinfectant proven to quickly kill novel coronaviruses with the latest application advice for COVID-19 and other germs.
- Staterooms and public areas sanitized multiple times a day with cleaning and disinfection protocols developed in coordination with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC).
- Extensive sanitization of transfer coaches and terminals.
- Responsible physical distancing in terminals, on board ships, on private island and during shore excursions. This will be managed through reduced occupancy, staggered activity times, and closely managed group sizes.
- Redesigned common areas, entertainment programs and restaurants, including buffet-style dining converted to service restaurants.
- Mandatory wearing of masks by all guests and crew on board and during excursions whenever physical distancing cannot be maintained between non-family guests.
- Additional handwashing facilities and hand-sanitizing stations positioned in high-traffic areas throughout the ship.
- Provide regular health information about the ways to stay healthy on board and when ashore through daily programming, entertainment systems, announcements, in-stateroom literature and our Navigator app.
- Only shore excursions that comply with Holland America Line prescribed protocols will be permitted, with strict adherence required of all guests and denial of re-boarding for any guests who do not comply.
- A team of highly trained medical staff are part of the crew, including qualified doctors and nurses on board who have experience in caring for a broad range of medical conditions.
- Our award-winning Shipboard Medical Centers have both outpatient and inpatient facilities with critical care capabilities, and are modified for infection control best practices, including dedicated air handling systems with 100% fresh air supply and HEPA exhaust filtration.
- Stocking the latest therapeutics and dispensing medication on board that improves clinical outcomes. Ongoing training and education of shipboard medical staff in the latest clinical care practices for managing COVID-19 cases.
- COVID-19 testing capabilities on board, allowing for effective and fast response actions.
- Partnerships with local and regional medical providers to provide care if needed.
- Training of all crew in COVID-19 health protocols and how to assist with monitoring guests and crew compliance.
- Enhanced filtration systems and other technologies to optimize air exchange rate and purification on board.
- HEPA filtration systems to key areas such as Medical Centers and dedicated isolation rooms.
COLLABORATION WITH LOCAL PARTNERS
- Working with local health authorities, destinations and other key partners to ensure alignment on our enhanced health measures.
- Monitor disease activity and health regulations in the destinations we visit, and adjust the itinerary as necessary.
Final protocols and practices will be provided with final documentation when cruising resumes. Specifics may change.
Health and Safety Awards
We’re proud of our commitment to health and safety. Thousands have named our state-of-the-art medical facilities “the best.” Our accessibility also wins readers’ choice year after year. Leave your worries behind with our exceptional care and award-winning facilities.