Holland America Line is ‘Home Away from Home’ for the Holidays; 2023 Cruises Feature Festive Experiences, Less Stress and Great Savings for Travelers
Christmas with penguins in Antarctica, Hanukkah at the Americas’ oldest synagogue, and New Year’s Eve in Vietnam highlight Holland America Line’s holiday sailings
Seattle, Wash., Aug. 8, 2023 — Instead of stressing about the planning, cooking and cleaning that comes with hosting the holidays at home, Holland America Line invites guests to take to the high seas make one of its ships a home-away-from-home for the holidays this season.
With special fares and premier onboard events, Holland America Line holiday cruises are a fun and worry-free option for guests celebrating Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas and New Year’s. Also, as many airfares begin to trend downward, a holiday cruise becomes an even greater value.
"Travelers are looking for ways to destress around the holidays while also maintaining a sense of tradition, and by cruising with us they’re able to do both.” said Beth Bodensteiner, Holland America Line’s chief commercial officer. “On a Holland America Line holiday sailing, guests can spend their days exploring exciting destinations, and at night they’ll enjoy traditional meals and other celebrations while surrounded by beautiful holiday décor. And not once will they have to worry about cooking or cleaning.”
On a holiday cruise, travelers can sail to the Caribbean, Hawaii and Mexico from the convenient domestic departure ports of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, or San Diego, California. Additional voyages are offered in Asia, South America, and Australia and New Zealand.
Start New Holiday Traditions on a Cruise
- After a day ashore, explore the light displays, gingerbread villages and other festively themed areas of the ship.
- Enjoy traditional holiday dishes like turkey and dressing on Thanksgiving and latkes and Sufganiyot (traditional doughnuts) for Hanukkah, while sampling a festive around-the-world menu for Christmas featuring dishes from Scandinavia, Asia and beyond.
- Join family and friends for a tree lighting ceremony, game of dreidel, holiday movies, carolling and more.
- Throughout each holiday sailing, there will be plenty of activities and surprises for junior cruisers at the Kids Club. And adults will love the lively gatherings, including a Christmas Eve Party and New Year’s Eve Ball with a countdown to midnight. On sailings over Christmas, Santa Claus will even make an appearance!
Notable Hoilday Itineraries
- Celebrate Thanksgiving Day in a tropical location like St. Lucia this year aboard Eurodam’s 11-Day Eastern Caribbean Wayfarer Holiday, then come back to the ship for a traditional Thanksgiving Feast with turkey, stuffing, pie and all the other fixings. Departs Nov. 18, 2023, roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale.
- Spend Christmas with the penguins this year on Oosterdam’s 22-Day South America and Antarctica Holiday. Explore beautiful ports in South America, then head further south to Antarctica for four days — including Christmas Day — taking in the beauty and wonder of the continent. Departs Dec. 16, 2023, and sails from Buenos Aires, Argentina, to San Antonio (Santiago), Chile.
- Celebrate the first day of Hanukkah with a visit to the oldest synagogue in continuous use in the Americas. When Rotterdam calls at Curaçao on its 19-Day Panama Canal Sunfarer/Eastern Caribbean Sailing, visit the Mikve Israel-Emmanuel Synagogue, which has operated since it was dedicated 1732. Departs Dec. 3, 2023, and cruises roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale.
- Spend the last day of 2023 exploring Nha Trang, Vietnam, on Westerdam’s 14-Day Far East Discovery Holiday. The Singapore to Hong Kong, China, sailing departs Dec. 23, 2023, and visits Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, featuring a special onboard New Year’s celebration.
- Guests also can experience the holidays aboard other sailings:
- Rotterdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Zuiderdam, Eurodam, Nieuw Statendam and Zaandam will sail through the holiday season in the Caribbean;
- Koningsdam and Volendam will experience the holidays in Hawaii and Mexico;
- Oosterdam will sail in South America and Antarctica, and Noordam will call at ports in New Zealand and Australia for the holidays.
Holiday Promotion Benefits
Make your holidays even better by adding our premium amenity package prior to cruising. Booking a holiday cruise with “Have it All” features shore excursions, beverage packages and beverage service charges, specialty dining and Wi-Fi—a value of $99 per person per day included in your fare.
Beginning fares for holiday sailings range from $1,299 to $10,429 per person, double occupancy, depending on length and destination. Taxes, fees and port expenses are additional.