Culinary Council Member and acclaimed Seattle Chef Ethan Stowell recently cruised on Eurodam for his “Food & Beverage Aficionado Cruise.” During the voyage, he hosted cooking demonstrations, talks and book signings, as well as an intimate, reservations-only dinner at the Pinnacle Grill.
During his cooking demonstration, Chef Stowell made a delicious scallops recipe, and now we’re sharing it with you!
3 U-10 scallops
Artichoke purée, at room temperature
2 baby artichokes, halved
8-10 pitted Taggiasca olives
8-10 arugula leaves
Fresh lemon juice
1. Season the scallops with salt, pepper and lemon.
2. Pan sear or grill the scallops until medium in the middle.
3. Fry the artichoke halves while the scallops are cooking. Season with salt and pepper.
14 oz artichoke bottoms, frozen
4 oz onion
1 garlic cloves
4 oz white wine
1 L clam juice
3 oz cream
1. Finely chop the onion and 1 garlic clove and then sweat in a pan with olive oil until lightly golden.
2. Add sliced artichoke bottoms and sweat them off.
3. Pour in the white wine to deglaze and add clam juice.
4. Cook the artichokes until falling apart and then stir in the cream.
5. Place mixture in blender until it is a smooth purée.
1. Place three separate tablespoons of the artichoke purée on a warm plate.
2. Place one scallop on each mound of artichoke purée.
3. Arrange the fried artichokes around.
4. Sprinkle the plate with the olives and arugula leaves. Drizzle a little olive oil and some fresh lemon juice.
At his exclusive Chef’s Table dinner, attendees enjoyed a menu of Dungeness Crab and Avocado Salad, Chilled Asparagus Soup, King Salmon, Beef Tenderloin and Moscato Marinated Panna Cotta. Each course was perfectly pair with a wine selection from Washington State or Oregon. Ethan’s Chef’s Table Dinner sold out well in advance, so we highly recommend making reservations by calling Ship Services (1–800–541–1576) as soon as you make your booking on a “Food & Beverage Aficionado Cruise.”
If you would like to join one of Holland America Line’s “Food & Beverage Aficionado Cruises” with a member of our Culinary Council, Master Mixologist or wine experts, take a look at the upcoming cruises.