Omar Catulo, sous chef aboard Holland America Line’s Westerdam, won the Spanish Cuisine category in the Fifth Bacardi Cruise Competition with his Bacardi Limon Ceviche Shots.
10 — 20 scallops
13 — 15 shrimp
4 Mahi-mahi fillets
1 oz garlic, chopped
6 oz red onions, petit brunoise
30 ml Bacardi Limon flavoured rum
2 oz scallions, sliced
2 oz ginger, finely chopped
3 oz jalapeños, finely chopped
4 oz red bell peppers, petit brunoise
3 oz green bell peppers, petit brunoise
3 oz yellow bell peppers, petit brunoise
3 oz mango
3 oz papaya
3 oz pineapple
50 ml lemon juice
50 ml lime juice
50 ml grapefruit juice
100 ml olive oil
12 pineapple leaves
12 endive leaves
Rock salt, as needed
Black pepper, as needed
Chives, cilantro, parsley, finely chopped, as needed
Lemon zest, as needed
Lime zest, as needed
Grapefruit zest, as needed
1. Blanch all seafood items and mix with the garlic, ginger, half of each bell pepper, scallions, 2 ounces of red onions, and some lime and lemon zest. Add lemon and lime juice, cilantro, chives, parsley, and 70 ml of olive oil; salt and pepper to taste.
2. Create three sets of rock salt blends. Blend grapefruit zest with rock salt and set aside; repeat twice with lemon zest and lime zest.
3. Mix the papaya with 1 ounce of jalapeños, 1 ounce of red onions, and 10 ml of Bacardi Limon Flavoured Rum, some lime favoured rock salt, lime juice, olive oil, and cilantro.
4. Mix the pineapple with 1 ounce of ginger, 1 ounce of red onions, 10 ml of Bacardi Limon Flavoured Rum, grapefruit flavoured rock salt, grapefruit juice, olive oil, and cilantro.
5. Mix the mango with 1 ounce of red bell peppers, 1 ounce of red onions, 10 ml of Bacardi Limon Flavoured Rum, lemon flavoured rock salt, lemon juice, olive oil, and cilantro.
6. Put some of the papaya salsa in a shot drink glass; place scallop on top, and garnish with an endive leaf, pineapple leaf, and a stick of scallion. Repeat the same procedure, coupling the mango salsa with the mahi-mahi and the pineapple salsa with the shrimp.
Arrange the three flavoured rock salts around the shot drink glasses. Place the papaya and scallop with the lime rock salt, the mango and mahi-mahi with the grapefruit rock salt, and the pineapple and shrimp with the lemon rock salt. Arrange five small spoons with the following chopped ingredients: red and yellow bell pepper, jalapeño, red onion, and cilantro.