In celebration of the 10th Anniversary of Holland America Line’s Culinary Council, we’re sharing recipes from these acclaimed chefs. Now you can create their dishes at home! Edouardo Jordan’s “JuneBaby’s Macaroni & Cheese” comes from his award-winning JuneBaby restaurant in Seattle that respects and celebrates soul food.
3½ cups uncooked macaroni pasta
For the sauce:
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 cup sharp cheddar (shredded)
1 cup medium cheddar (shredded)
1/4 cup Parmesan (shredded)
2/3 cup Camembert (cut into ½-inch pieces)
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the top:
1/2 cup sharp cheddar (shredded)
1/2 cup medium cheddar (shredded)
1/8 cup Parmesan (shredded)
To make the sauce:
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, then stir in the flour and cook to make a blond roux.
2. Slowly add the milk and cream, whisking to avoid lumps, and bring to a simmer, stirring so it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
3. Once it has thickened properly, shut off heat and add all cheeses and the paprika.
4. Stir until cheese is completely incorporated.
5. Salt to taste.
For the pasta:
1. In a medium stock pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil; season generously with salt.
2. Add the pasta, and cook until tender.
3. Drain the water.
Bring it all together:
1. Let both the pasta and the sauce cool for about five to 10 minutes.
2. Combine the pasta and the sauce, and check again for salt.
3. Transfer the mixture to a medium casserole dish, and cover evenly with the cheese topping.
4. Place under broiler until the cheese is melted.