Tomorrow is World Chocolate Day, and we have the perfect way to celebrate! Culinary Council Member and Chocolatier Jacques Torres recently sailed on Westerdam in Alaska for his Food & Beverage Aficionado Cruise. Torres is world-renowned for his chocolatey confections and unique creations, and while on board he didn’t disappoint! Torres held cooking demonstrations where he taught guests how to make Chocolate Cups and Sugar Cages, as well as Melting Chocolate Bananas Roulade. He also added his own special touch to the Gala Night Chocolate Surprise Parade.
Now you can create these fun and delicious recipes at home so you can impress your guests at your next dinner party or gathering.
1 lb chocolate
2 cups cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 pints mixed berries
1. Temper the chocolate.
2. Dip balloons in the chocolate.
3. Once the chocolate reaches the proper consistency, pop the balloons.
4. Fill chocolate cups with whipped cream and decorate with berries.
Watch Jacques’ technique:
1 lbs sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1. Combine all ingredients in sauce pan and cook to caramel color.
2. Coat a large bowl with cooking spray.
3. Use a spoon to drizzle caramel in the bowl
4. Allow caramel to cool and then remove from the bowl.
MELTING CHOCOLATE BANANAS ROULADE
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup almond flour
2 tbsp. flour
1. Sift dry ingredients into large mixing bowl.
2. Combine dry and went ingredients.
3. Thoroughly mix all together until cream forms.
1 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 lbs. chocolate
1. Roll out phyllo dough and brush with melted butter.
2. Coat phyllo dough with powdered sugar
3. Add a second layer of melted butter and powdered sugar to phyllo dough.
4. Add bananas, cut lengthwise in 4 pieces, into phyllo dough.
5. Pipe almond cream on phyllo and bananas.
6. Top with chocolate pieces and roll like a cigar.
7. Brush phyllo roll with butter and top with powdered sugar.
8. Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes.
During the cruise, Torres also prepared the treats for the Gala Night Chocolate Surprise Parade.
If you want to cruise with our Culinary Council Members, check out our other Food & Beverage Aficionado Cruises.