During the course of Amsterdam’s Grand Pacific and Far East Voyage, Holland America had the pleasure of welcoming aboard several talented guest chefs, including sushi expert and Asian cuisine specialist, Naomi Kakiuchi.
Naomi shared her culinary talents with Amsterdam guests and now we’re sharing her recipe with you! Read below to create her delectable Fijian Curried Papaya Salad.
FIJIAN CURRIED PAPAYA SALAD
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons curry powder
¼ cup crushed pineapple
1 banana, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1 ½ cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons mango chutney
½ cup thick coconut milk
5 cups ripe papaya, peeled, seeded and diced
½ cup celery, coarsely chopped
2 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
½ cup mayonnaise
1. Heat butter and oil in sauté pan over medium heat and fry onion, stirring until translucent, Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add curry powder, lower heat and stir for another 1 ½ minutes.
2. Add crushed pineapple and chopped banana and mix. Add flour and stir vigorously for 30 seconds. Slowly pour in chicken stock stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
3. Season with salt and pepper, add mango chutney and coconut milk. Stir well and bring mixture to a simmer. Stir occasionally and simmer for 30 minutes or until thick. Set aside to cool.
4. Place papaya, celery and green onions (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish) in large bowl.
5. Blend mayonnaise into cooled curry sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over the combined vegetables. Toss thoroughly to lightly coat ingredients. Transfer to serving bowl and sprinkle with reserved green onion. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Plan on recreating this refreshing dish? Send pics of your masterpiece to email@example.com!