Food & Beverage Aficionado Recipe: Culinary Council Member Ethan Stowell’s Rigatoni with Italian Sausage
Culinary Council Member and acclaimed Seattle Chef Ethan Stowell recently cruised on Noordam to Alaska for his “Food & Beverage Aficionado Cruise.” During the voyage, he hosted cooking demonstrations, talks and an intimate, reservations-only dinner at the Pinnacle Grill.
During his cooking presentation, Chef Stowell made his delicious Rigatoni with Italian Sausage, and and now we’re sharing his amazing recipe with you!
RIGATONI WITH ITALIAN SAUSAGE
2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce (recipe below)
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 baby artichokes, halved
1 lb. rigatoni pasta
1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
BASIC TOMATO SAUCE
Makes 6-7 cups
2 28-oz. cans whole, peeled San Marzano tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
6 garlic cloves, sliced
8-10 fresh basil leaves
1. In a large bowl, crush tomatoes with fingers
2. Over medium heat, add olive oil and sauté garlic until tender, 2-3 minutes
3. Add tomatoes and basil
4. Cook over medium-low heat, 30-40 minutes
5. Season lightly with salt and pepper
6. Use immersion blender, or food processor, to create a rough purée
1. Over medium heat, sauté sausage in the olive oil until lightly browned, 4-5 minutes
2. Add Basic Tomato Sauce and cook until flavors blend, 8-10 minutes
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package, or al dente. Drain immediately
1. Add drained pasta to the pan with sauce
2. Season with salt and pepper
3. Divide into 4 bowls
4. Garnish to taste with Parmigiano-Reggiano and artichoke
Enjoy! Let us know if you make this dish at home.
I would love to cook this at home. The ingredients list 2 baby artichoke halved. I do not see what to do with the artichoke in the preparation. Please advise. Thanks.
Just getting back from a cruise on the Konningsdam and this was my Favorite meal!
Having the recipe makes coming home easier!!