Transatlantic crossings to and from the capitals of Europe
There's something sepia-toned in a Transatlantic crossing. It's ancestral, it's old world, and it's shamelessly romantic. Our Transatlantic crossings combine easy days at sea with innovative Mediterranean and Northern Europe itineraries to give you an unforgettable cruise experience.
Between destinations, spend full "at sea" days enjoying our graceful service and taking part in activities that ease your spirit or energize your mind. For an exceptional value, choose a Transatlantic Collectors’ Voyage and expand your exploration of Northern Europe and the Mediterranean. Click on Collectors’ Voyages to learn more.
Our Transatlantic cruise vacations begin and/or end in Amsterdam, Barcelona, Boston, Civitavecchia (Rome), Dover (London), Fort Lauderdale, New York, Rotterdam, Tampa, Tilbury (London), or Venice.
|Special Mariner Society Cruises|
Longer, more in-depth itineraries
Holland America Line's Transatlantic Collectors' Voyages are perfect for true explorers who seek an in-depth experience at an exceptional value. Transatlantic crossings are combined with Mediterranean and/or Northern Europe cruises to create port-rich itineraries that deftly blend fascinating days of discovery ashore with relaxing time at sea. Take the long way home, exploring the best sights that line the Mediterranean rim en route. Trace Viking paths through Scandinavia, Greenland, Iceland and Newfoundland on an epic adventure from Amsterdam to New York. Or indulge in our extensive Azores & Portugal, Collectors’ Voyage and see it all. Look for our Collectors' Voyage icon.
With Collectors' Voyages, experience Europe as few can:
- Reap the greatest cruise vacation value: Collectors' Voyages are combined itineraries priced as one cruise, giving you the best per-day value and often providing additional discounts.
- With combined itineraries, enjoy more days at sea indulging in onboard luxuries and activities like our Greenhouse Spa & Salon, Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine magazine, Digital Workshop powered by Windows®, dance classes or just relaxing on your private verandah and enjoying 24-hour, complimentary room service. We take care to provide unique onboard activities throughout your cruise vacation.
- Experience, learn and simply do more ashore with additional days to participate in our wide variety of shore excursions.
- On select itineraries, enjoy overnight stays in more favorite ports of call. Spend one day exploring museums and famous sites and your second day hanging out with locals in the pubs, galleries, and shops of Europe's great cities.
Time to enjoy life's pleasures
Time is life's greatest luxury and the beauty of a Holland America Line Transatlantic cruise is the time you have to savor unique experiences both on shore and on board. Not only will you delight in port-rich itineraries with calls to off-the-beaten-path European ports, but we you will also have time to indulge in the award-winning service, activities and amenities that are integral to Holland America Line cruise vacations. One day you might opt to be pampered in our Greenhouse Spa and Salon, another day elect to attend our Explorations Speaker Series for an in depth understanding of upcoming destinations. Between naps by the pool, learn about great wines and fabulous food preparation at our wine bar and Culinary Arts Center or enjoy a latte, read The New York Times and check your email in our Explorations Café. Attend our new Digital Workshop powered by Microsoft Windows®, and impress family and friends back home with your new digital photo and video skills and online blogging and social networking prowess. Or simply relax with friends or a favorite book in one of our inviting public areas, rich with polished wood and soft leather furniture. Of course with complimentary 24-hour room service and spacious, elegantly appointed staterooms, many with private verandahs, you may opt to simply "stay in" and enjoy the view.
All of our Transatlantic cruise vacations include port-rich itineraries to unique and iconic European ports, and full at sea days spent cruising between destinations. We invite you to indulge in the luxury of time and enjoy it all.
Cruise to Barcelona
Barcelona effuses the ancient, the modernist, and the Gaudi. Legend has it the city was founded by Hercules 400 years before the founding of Rome. Whatever the truth, the city today is a global capital of commerce, fashion, culture, and sunshine (the city gets about 300 days of it a year). Cruise visitors should start with a walk down Las Ramblas, the glorious tree-shaded thoroughfare at the heart of the city. Claim a patch of sand on one of the city beaches. But, most of all, see what visionary architect Antoni Gaudi wrought. Seven of his creations have been honored as UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including La Sagrada Familia, the Park Guell, and Casa Mila.
Cruise to Cherbourg
The town is pastille-bright in the resonant 1964 musical "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg," which marked the major-film debut of Catherine Deneuve. The real-life town of Cherbourg is no less a delight. Visit Place General de Gaulle, where cruise travelers can find great cafes (try an assiette de fruits de mer) and good people-watching. Shop the boutiques on rue Tour-Carree and rue de la Paix. Hike up to Fort du Roule to explore the grounds and catch the view toward England. Then stop by the Musee de la Liberation for a bit of local history.
Shore Excursion Highlights
Cruise to Madeira
Say you drew a line from Lisbon west to the Azores, another from there southeast to the Canaries, and a third from the Canaries northeast back to Lisbon. You'd have a triangle that would be a slice of geographical heaven, and at its center would be Portugal's Madeira Islands. Madeira's capital, Funchal, is named for the native wild fennel that greeted the first settlers (Christopher Columbus was an early resident) more than five centuries ago. Today, a cruise will reveal a Funchal of red roofs and hibiscus easing gently down the lower slopes of Pico do Arieiro to the ocean, kissed by 60- to 70-degree days all year round.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Botanical Beauty: Funchal Farmer's Market, the Botanical Gardens of Madeira, and a culminating stop at a wine cellar.
- Cabo Girao, Camara Fishing Village & Reid's: Begin at the second-highest sea cliff in the world and end with afternoon tea, with a stop between at the fishing village that inspired Winston Churchill's painting.
- Scenic Madeira: Start in Funchal, ascend up through a eucalyptus forest, and then keep rising all the way to the top of 5,937-foot Pico do Arieiro. The view will whet your appetite for the wine tasting that concludes your day.
Cruise to Lisbon
Lisbon was for many years Europe's main portal of debarkation for the rest of the planet. Ships captained by Portuguese explorers like Bartolomeu Dias, Vasco da Gama, and Ferdinand Magellan skittered across the globe, hauling treasure home and making Lisbon a global capital. So it's appropriate to arrive by ship. Cruise to Lisbon, situated on a wide bay where the Tagus River meets the Atlantic, and the white facades of its ancient neighborhoods lead uphill to the iconic Castelo de São Jorge. Other landmarks include the World Heritage Sites of Belém Tower and Jerónimos Monastery, both built in Lisbon's native Manueline architectural style.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Fado, Folklore & Food: Get the full flavor of the city. You'll take a brief tour of the city before sitting down in a restaurant whose ambience evokes a centuries-old tavern, perfect for listening to the classic folksongs.
- Lisbon Baroque & the Art of Tiles: See how Portugal has elevated art of tiling, then conclude your day with a visit to the Tagus Estuary Wetlands, which may surprise you with the breadth of bird species, from flamingos to kites to herons.
Cruise to Malaga
Every city is a palimpsest, but Malaga takes it to an extreme. The walls of its Phoenician ur-city are visible in the basement of the Picasso Museum. The best-preserved Moorish citadel in Spain is located next to the Roman theater, which was rediscovered in 1951. The nearby caverns of Nerja provided refuge to humans 30,000 years ago and modern tourists alight along the Costa Del Sol during the eight-month-long summer season. Cruise guests can visit the old castles, the museums, and the beaches. Or chew some scenery with a Malaga sweet wine and a plate of tapas.
Shore Excursion Highlights
Cruise to Ponta Delgada
Give a volcano enough time and it will subside into middle-aged gentility. So it is on the Azores island of Sao Miguel, where the mountains have furred over with forests and grasslands, and their calderas transformed into pristine lakes. The climate is Mediterranean and Ponta Delgada, the capital of the Azores, is kissed with highs in the 70s most of the year. Founded by the Portuguese in the mid-1400s, Ponta Delgada offers cruise guests a feast of Baroque architecture. See the Portas de Cidade, the city hall, and the Baixia area. Outside of town, be sure to see the hot springs in Furnas and the rolling volcanic landscapes around Lagoa do Fogo, Lagoa Verde, and Lagoa Azul.
Shore Excursion Highlights
Cruise to Reykjavik
Iceland is being slowly torn in two. The country sits atop the mid-Atlantic Ridge, where the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates are pulling away from each other. The end result is that Iceland hisses, fizzes, and bursts with volcanic energy that powers the island nation and makes for a fantasia of attractions for cruise visitors. Reykjavik, the capital city, is noted for its abundant parks, brightly colored houses, and steaming thermal pools. And music. The city has an incredibly vibrant music scene, and Icelandic bands have had an outsize effect on the world music scene.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Swimming in the Blue Lagoon: The best-known of Iceland's thermal pools is about 40 minutes from Reykjavik in a lava field on the Reykjanes Peninsula. Enjoy a couple hours in the clean, milky blue waters.
- Glacier Safari by 4-Wheel Drive: Drive out to Cold Valley and Langjökull, the Long Glacier, in truck modified to travel over ice and snow.
- Geothermal Iceland: Today & Tomorrow: An insightful look into how Iceland makes the most of its geothermal bounty.
Holland America Line's Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP) is available for purchase on Holland America Line Cruises and CruiseTours, and is offered as a Standard Plan or a Platinum Plan. CPP is designed to protect your vacation investment from loss. Be it illness, family matters, unforeseen work events - anything, CPP is a product that enables you to cancel your vacation plans before you leave, for any reason and receive a refund.
Four reasons to choose the Holland America Line Cancellation Protection Plan:
- YOU CAN CANCEL BEFORE DEPARTURE FOR ANY REASON. Even if it's up to 24 hours before departure under our Standard Plan or right up to departure with our Platinum Plan. For any reason whatsoever, your reservation may be cancelled with ease.
- YOU GET MONEY BACK. Only Holland America Line refunds 80-90% of eligible amounts paid, regardless of your reason for canceling, as long as you cancel more than 24 hours prior to departure (right up to departure with the Platinum Plan).
- SAME PRICE FOR ALL AGES. We offer the same excellent protection for everyone, at the same cost.
- NO PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS. Our Standard and Platinum Plans do not contain pre-existing condition exclusions.
Our Standard and Platinum plans at a glance
Unforeseen events do happen. When you book your next cruise, be sure to ask about our Cancellation Protection Plans to protect your cruise investment.
CPP Standard Plan – Provided by Holland America Line
Our Standard Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP Standard Plan) will allow you, for any reason, to provide written cancellation up to 24 hours prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive a refund equal to 80% of the eligible amounts paid. CPP Standard is available to all guests, regardless of residency.
In addition, Holland America Line (HAL) automatically assumes an additional $500 (USD) of liability for lost, damaged or delayed baggage of guests who purchase the CPP Standard Plan still subject, however, to the limitations in our baggage policies. For example, we do not cover losses while baggage is in the custody of airlines. Please review our Baggage Policy.
The CPP Standard Plan is not insurance, and is administered by Holland America Line; it provides no rights other than those explained above. For example, it does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel, nor does it cover expenses or unused services due to trip interruption.
Our Platinum Cancellation Protection Plan enables you to supplement the benefits provided under the CPP Standard Plan with higher cancellation reimbursement and extends the eligible cancellation period up until the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line. CPP Platinum also provides insurance coverage for trip delays and interruptions, medical expenses and much more. In addition, CPP Platinum includes 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance services. CPP Platinum is comprised of the following:
Cancel for Any Reason Waiver
Provided by Holland America Line
You may cancel for any reason prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive reimbursement equal to 90% of the eligible amounts paid to Holland America. Note: CPP Platinum does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel prior to departure.
TRAVEL INSURANCE PROGRAM
Underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company
- Trip Interruption: Enables you to cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for illness, injury or death to you, an immediate family member or a traveling companion, as well as certain other non-medical reasons affecting you or your traveling companion, and receive up to 150% of your cruise vacation cost.
- Trip Delay: If you miss the departure of your cruise due to carrier-caused delays or other specified reasons, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for additional accommodations, meals and “catch-up” transportation expenses.
- Baggage Protection: If your baggage or personal property is lost or damaged, you will be reimbursed up to $1,000. If your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for more than 24 hours, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal effects.
- Medical Expense Coverage: Should you become injured or sick during your vacation, you will be reimbursed up to $10,000 for medical expenses.
- Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation: In the event that serious illness or injury requires air or ground transportation to a specialized facility or to return home, you will be provided up to $50,000 in covered medical services and supplies (coordinated by our 24-hour assistance provider) to help ensure your safe transport. Repatriation coverage provides for shipment of remains in the event of death during the cruise vacation.
The Travel Insurance Program is underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company, a Transamerica company, Columbus, Ohio; NAIC #10952 (all states except as otherwise noted) under Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5000. In CA, HI, NE, NH, PA, TN and TX Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5100 and TAHC5200. In IL, IN, KS, LA, OR, OH, VT, WA and WY Policy Form #'s TAHC5100IPS and TAHC5200IPS. Certain coverages are under series TAHC6000 and TAHC7000.
WORLDWIDE EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE SERVICES
Provided by On Call International
Provides 24-hour assistance services including: pre-cruise health, safety and weather information; assistance with travel changes; lost luggage assistance; emergency cash transfer assistance; emergency medical and dental assistance; lost travel document assistance; and emergency medical payment assistance.
IMPORTANT: This is only a brief description of the program. Please refer to the link below for a summary of the terms, conditions, and exclusions. Note that the benefits and services provided in CPP Platinum are available only to guests who enroll in and pay the appropriate program cost to Holland America Line. Please note that payment of the required cruise deposit does not automatically activate enrollment in CPP Platinum Protection. In order to activate enrollment, you must pay the appropriate program costs in addition to the required cruise deposit amount. The CPP Standard and CPP Platinum Plans are optional and are available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue. Payment for the plan is due at time of purchase and is non-refundable. The per person, per cruise costs for both plans are listed with the cruise fares. To add our Cancellation Protection Standard or Platinum Plan to your new or existing cruise booking, please call us at 1-877-932-4259.
This program was designed and is administered by Aon Affinity Berkely Travel. Aon Affinity, is the brand name for the brokerage and program administration operations of Affinity Insurance Services, Inc.; (AR 244489); in CA, MN & OK , AIS Affinity Insurance Agency, Inc. (CA 0795465); in CA, Aon Affinity Insurance Services, Inc., (0G94493), Aon Direct Insurance Administrators and Berkely Insurance Agency and in NY and NH, AIS Affinity Insurance Agency. Affinity Insurance Services is acting as a Managing General Agent as that term is defined in section 626.015(14) of the Florida Insurance Code. As a MGA we are acting on behalf of our carrier partner.
For New York residents only: The Holland America Cancel For Any Reason Waiver may be purchased separately from the Travel Insurance Program. Contact 1-877-538-3815 for details.
This plan provides insurance coverage that applies only during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home and automobile policies. If you have any questions about your current coverage, call your insurer, insurance agent or broker.