Old World cities, timeless northern landscapes
Northern Europe is home for Holland America Line and we love to show it off. Sing the praises of Norway’s fjord-scalloped coast, Amsterdam's graceful canals, or the fine linen and crystal shops of Ireland.
Cruise the North Cape and the Kiel Canal. Experience the glory of Scotland in the summertime. Spend two days exploring St. Petersburg. Come with us to Tallinn, Stockholm, and Helsinki. Spend the night, and spend more time, in cities like Oslo and Copenhagen.
For history buffs and romantics, our Norwegian Fjords, Baltic and Celtic itineraries offer numerous castles and fortresses. Our Collectors’ Voyages combine itineraries for the best per-day value and the opportunity to see it all. Click on Collectors’ Voyages to learn more.
|Special Mariner Society Cruises|
Longer, more in-depth itineraries
Experience more of the charm, history and stunning beauty of Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands. Discover the delights of Scandinavia, Russia, Scotland and England and enjoy extra time to explore in Copenhagen, St. Petersburg and Oslo on select itineraries. Combine Northern Europe and the Mediterranean to take in Russian onion domes and Spanish flamenco en route to/from Barcelona. Or be among the lucky few to choose a Collectors’ Voyage and cruise aboard our most intimate ship, ms Prinsendam, as she explores the remote treasures and favorite ports of Northern Europe and the Arctic Circle. Look for our Collectors' Voyage icon.
With Collectors' Voyages, experience Europe as few can:
- Reap the greatest cruise vacation value: Collectors' Voyages are combined itineraries priced as one cruise, giving you the best per-day value and often providing additional discounts.
- With combined itineraries, enjoy more days at sea indulging in onboard luxuries and activities like our Greenhouse Spa & Salon, Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine magazine, Digital Workshop powered by Windows®, dance classes or just relaxing on your private verandah and enjoying 24-hour, complimentary room service. We take care to provide unique onboard activities throughout your cruise vacation.
- Experience, learn and simply do more ashore with additional days to participate in our wide variety of shore excursions.
- On select itineraries, enjoy overnight stays in more favorite ports of call. Spend one day exploring museums and famous sites and your second day hanging out with locals in the pubs, galleries, and shops of Europe's great cities.
Cruise to Copenhagen
On your cruise to Copenhagen with Holland America Line, you can step into Amager Square and be in the heart of Copenhagen's venerable gabled facades and the carnival of humanity eating, drinking and seizing the day. Built on a series of islands, Copenhagen balances tradition and kinetic energy, while all the while the Little Mermaid statue keeps a thoughtful watch on the harbor.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Copenhagen at a Glimpse & Tivoli Gardens: Get an overview of the city followed by a jolt of the magical.
- Castles of North Zealand: In the mood for castles? Try this tour, which includes a stop at the Renaissance Frederiksborg Castle.
- Dragoer Fishing Village: Take a walk down the cobbled streets of one of Denmark's oldest towns, and certainly one of its best-preserved.
Explore the City Further
Your cruise from Copenhagen will allow you to spend a few days before or (if you are disembarking) after to explore this city more fully. To learn more about hotel packages that will extend your cruise vacation, please contact your travel professional or Holland America Line.
Cruise to Flam
The Aurlandsfjord would be a magnificent fjord in its own right, with its glassy waters and snow-frosted peaks towering more than 3,000 over the water. What's even more humbling is that the fjord is just an arm of an even longer, more massive one – the Sognefjord. That fjord is the longest in Norway, but your cruise will make the turn south, for Flam. The cliffs crowd ever closer as you near the village and when you get there, it seems there's nowhere to look but up. The town is lovely; the countryside is creased by rivers and waterfalls, and mantled in meadows. Take a ride on the legendary, and steep, Flam Railway.
Shore Excursion Highlights
Cruise to Oslo
The whole coast of Norway is as frayed as the hem of a much-loved blanket, so it's fitting that the country's capital lies at the head of a fjord. How perfect for a cruise. Oslo is hilly and green – two-thirds of the city is protected forest – and what's human-made is diverse, from the classicist Kunstnernes Hus to the modern Oslo Opera House, winner of the top prize at the 2008 World Architecture Festival. Take a walk through the central city and look and listen. At your feet you'll come across the Ibsen Quotes, an art installation consisting of 69 of the playwright's quotations set in the sidewalks. In the air you may hear music – the city hosts music festivals all summer long.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Best of Oslo: See city highlights like the Nobel Institute en route to Vigeland Sculpture Park. The creation of one man, the park contains more than 100 stone figures portraying the span of humanity, in all its striving and glory.
- Viking Ship Museum & Hadeland Glassworks: See the country's glassblowing genius and its Viking heritage.
- Kroderbanen Vintage Steam Train: See the lovely Norwegian countryside.
Cruise to St. Petersburg
The city is a treasure chest of glittering domes, baroque palaces, and elaborate churches. A cruise to St. Petersburg with Holland America Line lets you immerse yourself in the city's cultural immensity. The Hermitage alone could overwhelm you. One of the world’s great museums, it houses works by Titian, Dutch and Flemish masters, Michelangelo and Matisse, and the Peacock Clock. Ensconced in Catherine the Great’s Winter Palace, the museum is as evocative as its collection.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- An Evening at the Hermitage: An exclusive event for Holland America Line guests.
- Cathedrals of St. Petersburg: The city brims with must-see, candle-filled, fairytale-like churches.
- Murder on the Moika River: Yusupov Palace is where Russian mystic and royal adviser Grigori Rasputin was murdered, ever so ineptly.
Cruise to Stockholm
Down along the east-central coast of Sweden, where the littoral bulges out into the Baltic, where Lake Malaren sprawls, not quite sure whether it's a lake, a river, or the sea, there's Stockholm. The city, spread across 14 islands, exists as both a world capital of and a meme. A cruise visit to the city uncovers the genius you might expect, manifest in the city's parks, waterways, and urban design. But there is also something more. Stockholm was designated a European Green Capital in 2010 and has become a global leader in sustainable urban living. So as you walk the streets and whistle softly at the view, consider you may be witnessing the birth of something hinting at the future of the planet.
Cruise to Tallinn
Toompea, the old town, is a thicket of turrets, spires, and onion domes that overlooks the rest of Tallinn and the Gulf of Finland. Legend says the limestone outcrop is the burial mound of the Estonian king Kalev, while geology claims the area first emerged from the surrounding land about 10,000 years ago. No matter. From its start as a trade link between Russia and Scandinavia and rise as a member of the Hanseatic League trade alliance, the city today has been ranked as one of the top 10 digital cities in the world. That should make it easy to send pictures home of the local sights – and not just Toompea. See All-linn (the lower town) on your cruise. It's brilliantly preserved.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Stroll Through Tallinn's Old Town: See the Old Town at cobblestone level. You'll walk up Toompea Hill and through numerous narrow alleyways to Palace Square, the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, the Dome Church, and more.
- Best of Tallinn: Visit the Old Town, Song festival grounds, and Pirita yachting complex.
- Spirit of Medieval Estonia: Visit a 13th-century castle and enjoy a vodka tasting.
Holland America Line's Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP) is available for purchase on Holland America Line Cruises and CruiseTours, and is offered as a Standard Plan or a Platinum Plan. CPP is designed to protect your vacation investment from loss. Be it illness, family matters, unforeseen work events - anything, CPP is a product that enables you to cancel your vacation plans before you leave, for any reason and receive a refund.
Four reasons to choose the Holland America Line Cancellation Protection Plan:
- YOU CAN CANCEL BEFORE DEPARTURE FOR ANY REASON. Even if it's up to 24 hours before departure under our Standard Plan or right up to departure with our Platinum Plan. For any reason whatsoever, your reservation may be cancelled with ease.
- YOU GET MONEY BACK. Only Holland America Line refunds 80-90% of eligible amounts paid, regardless of your reason for canceling, as long as you cancel more than 24 hours prior to departure (right up to departure with the Platinum Plan).
- SAME PRICE FOR ALL AGES. We offer the same excellent protection for everyone, at the same cost.
- NO PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS. Our Standard and Platinum Plans do not contain pre-existing condition exclusions.
Our Standard and Platinum plans at a glance
Unforeseen events do happen. When you book your next cruise, be sure to ask about our Cancellation Protection Plans to protect your cruise investment.
CPP Standard Plan – Provided by Holland America Line
Our Standard Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP Standard Plan) will allow you, for any reason, to provide written cancellation up to 24 hours prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive a refund equal to 80% of the eligible amounts paid. CPP Standard is available to all guests, regardless of residency.
In addition, Holland America Line (HAL) automatically assumes an additional $500 (USD) of liability for lost, damaged or delayed baggage of guests who purchase the CPP Standard Plan still subject, however, to the limitations in our baggage policies. For example, we do not cover losses while baggage is in the custody of airlines. Please review our Baggage Policy.
The CPP Standard Plan is not insurance, and is administered by Holland America Line; it provides no rights other than those explained above. For example, it does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel, nor does it cover expenses or unused services due to trip interruption.
Our Platinum Cancellation Protection Plan enables you to supplement the benefits provided under the CPP Standard Plan with higher cancellation reimbursement and extends the eligible cancellation period up until the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line. CPP Platinum also provides insurance coverage for trip delays and interruptions, medical expenses and much more. In addition, CPP Platinum includes 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance services. CPP Platinum is comprised of the following:
Cancel for Any Reason Waiver
Provided by Holland America Line
You may cancel for any reason prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive reimbursement equal to 90% of the eligible amounts paid to Holland America. Note: CPP Platinum does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel prior to departure.
TRAVEL INSURANCE PROGRAM
Underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company
- Trip Interruption: Enables you to cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for illness, injury or death to you, an immediate family member or a traveling companion, as well as certain other non-medical reasons affecting you or your traveling companion, and receive up to 150% of your cruise vacation cost.
- Trip Delay: If you miss the departure of your cruise due to carrier-caused delays or other specified reasons, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for additional accommodations, meals and “catch-up” transportation expenses.
- Baggage Protection: If your baggage or personal property is lost or damaged, you will be reimbursed up to $1,000. If your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for more than 24 hours, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal effects.
- Medical Expense Coverage: Should you become injured or sick during your vacation, you will be reimbursed up to $10,000 for medical expenses.
- Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation: In the event that serious illness or injury requires air or ground transportation to a specialized facility or to return home, you will be provided up to $50,000 in covered medical services and supplies (coordinated by our 24-hour assistance provider) to help ensure your safe transport. Repatriation coverage provides for shipment of remains in the event of death during the cruise vacation.
The Travel Insurance Program is underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company, a Transamerica company, Columbus, Ohio; NAIC #10952 (all states except as otherwise noted) under Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5000. In CA, HI, NE, NH, PA, TN and TX Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5100 and TAHC5200. In IL, IN, KS, LA, OR, OH, VT, WA and WY Policy Form #'s TAHC5100IPS and TAHC5200IPS. Certain coverages are under series TAHC6000 and TAHC7000.
WORLDWIDE EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE SERVICES
Provided by On Call International
Provides 24-hour assistance services including: pre-cruise health, safety and weather information; assistance with travel changes; lost luggage assistance; emergency cash transfer assistance; emergency medical and dental assistance; lost travel document assistance; and emergency medical payment assistance.
IMPORTANT: This is only a brief description of the program. Please refer to the link below for a summary of the terms, conditions, and exclusions. Note that the benefits and services provided in CPP Platinum are available only to guests who enroll in and pay the appropriate program cost to Holland America Line. Please note that payment of the required cruise deposit does not automatically activate enrollment in CPP Platinum Protection. In order to activate enrollment, you must pay the appropriate program costs in addition to the required cruise deposit amount. The CPP Standard and CPP Platinum Plans are optional and are available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue. Payment for the plan is due at time of purchase and is non-refundable. The per person, per cruise costs for both plans are listed with the cruise fares. To add our Cancellation Protection Standard or Platinum Plan to your new or existing cruise booking, please call us at 1-877-932-4259.
This program was designed and is administered by Aon Affinity Berkely Travel. Aon Affinity, is the brand name for the brokerage and program administration operations of Affinity Insurance Services, Inc.; (AR 244489); in CA, MN & OK , AIS Affinity Insurance Agency, Inc. (CA 0795465); in CA, Aon Affinity Insurance Services, Inc., (0G94493), Aon Direct Insurance Administrators and Berkely Insurance Agency and in NY and NH, AIS Affinity Insurance Agency. Affinity Insurance Services is acting as a Managing General Agent as that term is defined in section 626.015(14) of the Florida Insurance Code. As a MGA we are acting on behalf of our carrier partner.
For New York residents only: The Holland America Cancel For Any Reason Waiver may be purchased separately from the Travel Insurance Program. Contact 1-877-538-3815 for details.
This plan provides insurance coverage that applies only during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home and automobile policies. If you have any questions about your current coverage, call your insurer, insurance agent or broker.