A European odyssey only our ships can make
Discover boutique ports of call inaccessible to larger cruise ships when you cruise on board the ms Prinsendam, our most intimate ship. Take the 2013 voyage and you'll journey across the Atlantic into the Mediterranean and the Balkans.
On board, savor spacious accommodations, extraordinary service and modern amenities. On shore, immerse yourself in diverse cultures with our award-winning shore excursions.
You won't even have to take a single international flight, since you'll start and end your trip from the same Fort Lauderdale pier. If you'd like an even broader juxtaposition of cultures and landscapes at even greater value, combine a Grand Mediterranean Voyage with our 2012 or 2013 Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage.
Grand Africa & Mediterranean Voyage Early Booking Amenities
|57-Day Grand Africa & Mediterranean Voyage ms Prinsendam Mar. 14, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale to Civitavecchia (Rome)
Exciting Early Booking Amenities are available exclusively for our guests who book the 2014 Grand Africa & Mediterranean Voyage aboard the ms Prinsendam sailing on March 14, 2014, Ft. Lauderdale to Civitavecchia (Rome). These consist of a series of valuable amenities for our guests who book by May 31, 2013 in select categories of staterooms and suites as detailed below.
Penthouse Suite & Deluxe Verandah Suites (Categories PS - BC):
- Unlimited Luggage Delivery Service (to Ft. Lauderdale and from Rome only)
- Per Person Shipboard Credit
- Prepaid Hotel Service Charges (Approximate value $750.00 per person)
- Complimentary Shore Excursion from the Collections of Holland America Line
- Initial In-suite liquor set-up (4 bottles)
- "Welcome On Board" bottle of Champagne
- Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise (PS-SY only)
- Complimentary in-suite bottled water and (PS-SY only)
Deluxe Verandah Suite: $750
Verandah Suite: $500
Large Ocean-view Staterooms (Categories C-F):
- Luggage Delivery Service (2 pieces per person to Ft. Lauderdale and from Rome only)
- $300 per person Shipboard Credit
- Prepaid Hotel Service Charges (Approximate value $700 per person)
- "Welcome On Board" bottle of Champagne
Exciting Early Booking Amenities are available for our guests who book a 28+ day segment of the 2014 Grand Africa & Mediterranean Voyage. These consist of a valuable shipboard credit for our guests who book by May 31, 2013 in select categories of staterooms and suites as detailed below.
Penthouse Verandah, Deluxe Verandah & Verandah Suites (Categories PS-BC): Receive a $500 per person shipboard credit
Large Ocean-view Staterooms (Categories C-F): Receive a $300 per person shipboard credit
Exciting Early Booking Amenities are also available for our guests who book a segment up to 27 days by May 31, 2013.
Penthouse Verandah, Deluxe Verandah & Verandah Suites (Categories PS-BC): Receive a $300 per person shipboard credit
Large Ocean-view Staterooms (Categories C-F): Receive a $200 per person shipboard credit
View or print a PDF of the 2014 Grand Voyages early booking amenities.
For additional savings, guests who pay in full by May 31, 2013 will save 3%. Call for details.
*Guests flying to and from gateways without business class service will be offered the best available economy class service.
All savings amounts shown are in USD.
Cruise to Seville
The Moorish palace started as a fort. One of the largest Roman Catholic Cathedrals in the world used to be a mosque. The Renaissance archive contains the annals of the Spanish in the New World. All three – the Alcazar, the Seville Cathedral, and the Archivo de Indias – are UNESCO World Heritage sites. All three were built in the Mudejar style, a Muslim aesthetic that developed under Christian rule. Cruise guests can see what alchemy can happen when cultures intertwine. Walk the narrow lanes of the Jewish Quarter, the expanse of the Plaza de Espana, or the halls of the Museo de Bellas Artes. Then stop for tapas.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- The Carriage Museum: Visit Jerez de la Frontera (heaven on earth if you're a sherry grape) and the Royal Andalusia School of Equestrian Arts.
- Stunning Seville: A walking tour through city landmarks such as the Alcazar and the Jewish Quarter.
- White Villages & Countryside: Tidy towns between pine forests and the sea.
Cruise to Malta
Malta's tiny size belies its strategic importance over the centuries. Claimants to the Maltese archipelago included nearly everyone who was anyone in Mediterranean history: Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Normans, French, British, and more. Even Odysseus stopped here – detained seven years by the nymph Calypso. The town of Victoria crowns the center of Malta's island of Gozo. It is known locally as "Rabat," ("suburb outside the fortress walls"). The fortress in this case was founded during around 1500 BC and its walls present a 360-degree view of the island. Cruise visitors can explore the exquisite 17th century baroque cathedral, stroll the gardens of Villa Rundle, and shop for fine weaving, lace and silver filigree.
Cruise to Ephesus
Ephesus is a beautiful ghost. In the first century B.C., the city was one of the largest cities in the world. It's Great Theater sat 24,000 people. Its Temple of Artemis was one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. The Library of Celsus was perhaps the finest in creation. Today, the Great Theater is a ruin, the temple is gone, and the library is a shell, open to the sky. Still, your cruise excursion will reveal glory in the old stones. Ephesus has one of the largest collections of ruins in the eastern Mediterranean. Prime among them is the library, whose two-story façade still stands, and the house said to be the last residence of Mary, mother of Jesus.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Ancient Ephesus & the Virgin Mary's House: Visit the site that has been declared an official Catholic shrine, as well as the Great Theater, Celsus Library, and other highlights.
- Deluxe Ephesus Part I: Stop at the Virgin Mary's House, Great Theater, and more.
- Deluxe Ephesus Part II: Includes a visit to the Ephesus Museum in Selcuk and other area highlights.
Cruise to Istanbul
Cross the Galata Bridge to the old city, past the Süleymaniye Mosque, whose 174-foot dome was once the highest in the Ottoman Empire. Pass the ancient city walls, built by Constantine, and beneath the epic Roman aqueduct. You've come for spice; for the scent of curry, saffron, and myrrh; for a taste of something ancient. A cruise to Istanbul (nee Constantinople nee Byzantium) with Holland America Line takes you to the world's only two-continent metropolis, thick with nearly 10 millennia of history.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Istanbul City Walls & Spice Bazaar: The bazaar was founded in 1663. Be sure to bargain.
- A Taste of Istanbul: Dining on the Bosphorus: Fresh seafood specialties and a story-filled nighttime cruise.
- Cruise Between Europe & Asia: See traditional Turkish villas, 19th-century Ottoman palaces, fishing villages and green hills.
Cruise to Athens
There's no escaping the Parthenon. The temple to Athena looms over Athens from its perch atop the Acropolis, and it looms across the Western imagination as an icon of art and civilization. You may as well give in and start your cruise visit there. And why not? Completed in 438 B.C., the temple still astounds as the flowering of Greek art and architecture. When you come down off the hill, be sure to visit the Ancient Agora, Syntagma Square, the National Archaeological Museum, and the city's infinite impromptu byways. As you sample some souvlaki or a frappe, take a glance back up the hill from time to time and give the goddess her due.
Cruise to Venice
Your eyes deceive you as you get closer. An entire stone city concocted from spires and cupolas seems to float on water. The optics seem off, but by now you're too far charmed to turn back. Cruise to Venice with Holland American Line and start easily. Have a bicerin, a hot mix of espresso, drinking chocolate and whole milk. Then step out into the palatial arcades and outdoor cafes of St. Mark's Square. Ready? Now you can really get going. Venice has 117 islands and a million stories of empire, longing, and glory.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Venice Sightseeing: St. Mark's, plus the Doges' Palace and the Bridge of Sighs.
- Nighttime Gondola Serenade: Sit down and enjoy an evening ride along the canals set to music and song.
- Murano & Burano: City of glass. City of lace. Murano is known worldwide for its glasswork; Burano for its lacemaking.
Cruise to Lisbon
Lisbon was for many years Europe's main portal of debarkation for the rest of the planet. Ships captained by Portuguese explorers like Bartolomeu Dias, Vasco da Gama, and Ferdinand Magellan skittered across the globe, hauling treasure home and making Lisbon a global capital. So it's appropriate to arrive by ship. Cruise to Lisbon, situated on a wide bay where the Tagus River meets the Atlantic, and the white facades of its ancient neighborhoods lead uphill to the iconic Castelo de São Jorge. Other landmarks include the World Heritage Sites of Belém Tower and Jerónimos Monastery, both built in Lisbon's native Manueline architectural style.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Fado, Folklore & Food: Get the full flavor of the city. You'll take a brief tour of the city before sitting down in a restaurant whose ambience evokes a centuries-old tavern, perfect for listening to the classic folksongs.
- Lisbon Baroque & the Art of Tiles: See how Portugal has elevated art of tiling, then conclude your day with a visit to the Tagus Estuary Wetlands, which may surprise you with the breadth of bird species, from flamingos to kites to herons.
Holland America Line's Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP) is available for purchase on Holland America Line Cruises and CruiseTours, and is offered as a Standard Plan or a Platinum Plan. CPP is designed to protect your vacation investment from loss. Be it illness, family matters, unforeseen work events - anything, CPP is a product that enables you to cancel your vacation plans before you leave, for any reason and receive a refund.
Four reasons to choose the Holland America Line Cancellation Protection Plan:
- YOU CAN CANCEL BEFORE DEPARTURE FOR ANY REASON. Even if it's up to 24 hours before departure under our Standard Plan or right up to departure with our Platinum Plan. For any reason whatsoever, your reservation may be cancelled with ease.
- YOU GET MONEY BACK. Only Holland America Line refunds 80-90% of eligible amounts paid, regardless of your reason for canceling, as long as you cancel more than 24 hours prior to departure (right up to departure with the Platinum Plan).
- SAME PRICE FOR ALL AGES. We offer the same excellent protection for everyone, at the same cost.
- NO PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS. Our Standard and Platinum Plans do not contain pre-existing condition exclusions.
Our Standard and Platinum plans at a glance
Unforeseen events do happen. When you book your next cruise, be sure to ask about our Cancellation Protection Plans to protect your cruise investment.
CPP Standard Plan – Provided by Holland America Line
Our Standard Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP Standard Plan) will allow you, for any reason, to provide written cancellation up to 24 hours prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive a refund equal to 80% of the eligible amounts paid. CPP Standard is available to all guests, regardless of residency.
In addition, Holland America Line (HAL) automatically assumes an additional $500 (USD) of liability for lost, damaged or delayed baggage of guests who purchase the CPP Standard Plan still subject, however, to the limitations in our baggage policies. For example, we do not cover losses while baggage is in the custody of airlines. Please review our Baggage Policy.
The CPP Standard Plan is not insurance, and is administered by Holland America Line; it provides no rights other than those explained above. For example, it does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel, nor does it cover expenses or unused services due to trip interruption.
Our Platinum Cancellation Protection Plan enables you to supplement the benefits provided under the CPP Standard Plan with higher cancellation reimbursement and extends the eligible cancellation period up until the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line. CPP Platinum also provides insurance coverage for trip delays and interruptions, medical expenses and much more. In addition, CPP Platinum includes 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance services. CPP Platinum is comprised of the following:
Cancel for Any Reason Waiver
Provided by Holland America Line
You may cancel for any reason prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive reimbursement equal to 90% of the eligible amounts paid to Holland America. Note: CPP Platinum does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel prior to departure.
TRAVEL INSURANCE PROGRAM
Underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company
- Trip Interruption: Enables you to cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for illness, injury or death to you, an immediate family member or a traveling companion, as well as certain other non-medical reasons affecting you or your traveling companion, and receive up to 150% of your cruise vacation cost.
- Trip Delay: If you miss the departure of your cruise due to carrier-caused delays or other specified reasons, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for additional accommodations, meals and “catch-up” transportation expenses.
- Baggage Protection: If your baggage or personal property is lost or damaged, you will be reimbursed up to $1,000. If your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for more than 24 hours, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal effects.
- Medical Expense Coverage: Should you become injured or sick during your vacation, you will be reimbursed up to $10,000 for medical expenses.
- Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation: In the event that serious illness or injury requires air or ground transportation to a specialized facility or to return home, you will be provided up to $50,000 in covered medical services and supplies (coordinated by our 24-hour assistance provider) to help ensure your safe transport. Repatriation coverage provides for shipment of remains in the event of death during the cruise vacation.
The Travel Insurance Program is underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company, a Transamerica company, Columbus, Ohio; NAIC #10952 (all states except as otherwise noted) under Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5000. In CA, HI, NE, NH, PA, TN and TX Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5100 and TAHC5200. In IL, IN, KS, LA, OR, OH, VT, WA and WY Policy Form #'s TAHC5100IPS and TAHC5200IPS. Certain coverages are under series TAHC6000 and TAHC7000.
WORLDWIDE EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE SERVICES
Provided by On Call International
Provides 24-hour assistance services including: pre-cruise health, safety and weather information; assistance with travel changes; lost luggage assistance; emergency cash transfer assistance; emergency medical and dental assistance; lost travel document assistance; and emergency medical payment assistance.
IMPORTANT: This is only a brief description of the program. Please refer to the link below for a summary of the terms, conditions, and exclusions. Note that the benefits and services provided in CPP Platinum are available only to guests who enroll in and pay the appropriate program cost to Holland America Line. Please note that payment of the required cruise deposit does not automatically activate enrollment in CPP Platinum Protection. In order to activate enrollment, you must pay the appropriate program costs in addition to the required cruise deposit amount. The CPP Standard and CPP Platinum Plans are optional and are available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue. Payment for the plan is due at time of purchase and is non-refundable. The per person, per cruise costs for both plans are listed with the cruise fares. To add our Cancellation Protection Standard or Platinum Plan to your new or existing cruise booking, please call us at 1-877-932-4259.
This program was designed and is administered by Aon Affinity Berkely Travel. Aon Affinity, is the brand name for the brokerage and program administration operations of Affinity Insurance Services, Inc.; (AR 244489); in CA, MN & OK , AIS Affinity Insurance Agency, Inc. (CA 0795465); in CA, Aon Affinity Insurance Services, Inc., (0G94493), Aon Direct Insurance Administrators and Berkely Insurance Agency and in NY and NH, AIS Affinity Insurance Agency. Affinity Insurance Services is acting as a Managing General Agent as that term is defined in section 626.015(14) of the Florida Insurance Code. As a MGA we are acting on behalf of our carrier partner.
For New York residents only: The Holland America Cancel For Any Reason Waiver may be purchased separately from the Travel Insurance Program. Contact 1-877-538-3815 for details.
This plan provides insurance coverage that applies only during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home and automobile policies. If you have any questions about your current coverage, call your insurer, insurance agent or broker.