Asia & Pacific
Ancient gardens, quiet shrines, and neon cities
Stand in the silence of a 14th-century Shinto shrine. Tour a Chinese garden unchanged for 600 years. Rocket forward to the 21st century via Shanghai's Maglev train. Slow down again along Vietnam's ethereal coastline.
Focus on a particular region or combine cruise itineraries with no port repetition. Enjoy overnight stays in Beijing, Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Tokyo. Begin and end your cruise in exciting cities like Sydney, Hong Kong, and Singapore, or sail across the Pacific from Osaka to Vancouver, exploring Kodiak and Sitka, Alaska, on the way.
You’ll travel aboard Holland America’s elegant and spacious ms Volendam or ms Zaandam, where you'll be able to take advantage of modern spa amenities, culinary presentations, exceptional food and wine, and our legendary service. Your room, meals, entertainment, and the epic scenery are included in one price. So whatever itinerary you choose, you'll find Holland America Line offers Asia & Pacific cruises at an incredible value.
Explorers seeking a more in-depth experience can select one of our Collector's Voyages, which visit multiple regions and offer great per-day value.
Longer, more in-depth itineraries
For those who love the thrill of “collecting” new places, Holland America Line has combined port-intensive itineraries into longer, leisurely Collectors’ Voyages that allow you to savor the ultimate Asia Pacific cruise experience. These in-depth cruises combine the best of several regions, offering a cultural perspective beyond compare. Contrast the beaches of Australia with those of Thailand. Be dazzled by Bangkok’s temples and Beijing’s “Bird’s Nest” National Stadium. Sample Thai curry, Kobe beef and Chinese dim sum. With Collectors’ Voyages, you can discover fascinating new ports, visit old favorites and create new memories every day. Look for our Collectors' Voyage icon.
With Collectors' Voyages, experience Asia and the Pacific as few can:
- Reap the greatest cruise vacation value: Collectors' Voyages are combined itineraries priced as one cruise, giving you the best per-day value and often providing additional discounts.
- With combined itineraries, enjoy more days at sea indulging in onboard luxuries and activities like our Greenhouse Spa & Salon, Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine magazine, Digital Workshop powered by Windows®, dance classes or just relaxing on your private verandah and enjoying 24-hour, complimentary room service. We take care to provide unique onboard activities throughout your cruise vacation.
- Experience, learn and simply do more ashore with additional days to participate in our wide variety of shore excursions.
- On select itineraries, enjoy more full days and extended stays in the region’s favorite ports of call. Spend one day exploring museums and famous sites and your second day mingling with locals in the cafés, galleries, and shops of Asia’s great cities.
Cruise to Halong Bay
The great Vietnamese poet and statesman Nguyen Trai called it the "rock wonder in the sky." In designating it a World Heritage Site, UNESCO describes it as "spectacular seascape of limestone pillars." It's name translates as "Descending Dragon Bay." Geologists call it karst topography, and say it's what happens when soluble bedrock wears away over millions of years. Halong Bay, located on Vietnam's northeast coast, is otherworldly no matter what words you choose. About 2,000 limestone islands stipple the vast bay, most of them rising hundreds of feet sheer from the sea. If, as you cruise along, you find words fail to capture the beauty of the place, be at ease. They never do.
Shore Excursion Highlights
Cruise to Hong Kong
This is Hong Kong – have you rested? City-state, deep-water harbor, darling of empires, engine of global finance, shopper's paradise, cinematic trend-setter, world's most vertical city. Whew. Cruise to Hong Kong with Holland America Line and join the parade into one of the city's countless markets. Watch the hardworking world of Aberdeen's junks and sampans. Rise above it all on the tram ride to the top of Victoria Peak. Hong Kong is where ancient herbal remedies mix with designer fashions, Buddhist monks mingle with businessmen, and Chinese traditions meet modern international capitalism.
Explore the City Further
Your cruise from Hong Kong will allow you to spend a few days before or (if you are disembarking) after to explore this city more fully. To learn more about hotel packages that will extend your cruise vacation, please contact your travel professional or Holland America Line.
Cruise to Koh Samui
Looking at the water, the palms, and the plants, you might think the color green was invented on Koh Samui, and then reinvented. Everywhere you look are shades of celadon, smaragdine, and viridian. Located in the Gulf of Thailand about 400 miles south of Bangkok, Koh Samui is an island of towering coconut trees, generous sun, and powdery white beaches. Cruise visitors will enjoy the Big Buddha, an important symbol for the locals, the Na Muang waterfall, and the beaches. Chaweng is the island's high-energy beach. Lamai is less busy. Maenam is quiet, and closest to port.
Shore Excursion Highlights
Cruise to Nagasaki
Nagasaki was for centuries Japan's chief point of contact with the rest of the world. It was founded by the Portuguese. It became a national center of European scholarship. It was a center of Japan's heavy industry. Trade with China flowed from its wharves. It is the setting for "Madame Butterfly." Cruise visitors come to see the ghost town of Battleship Island, the European architecture of Glover Garden, or the Former Dutch Factory, an island for containing foreigners. They come to shop at Youme Saito or Nishi-Hamanomachi. They come to slurp a bowl of champon. They come to visit Nagasaki Peace Park and remember August 9, 1945.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Ground Zero & The Atomic Bomb Museum: Among the haunting sculptures in Nagasaki Peace Park is a simple one of a mother shielding a child with her arm.
- Nagasaki Sights: Highlights include Inasayama Natural Park, Nagasaki Peace Park, and the historic Dejima district.
- Shimabara & Fugen Volcano: See the magnificent renovated Shimbara Castle.
Cruise to Shanghai
It's the capital of the world. It's the biggest city. It's the busiest port. It's a center of technology and transport, commerce and capital, fashion and finance. Shanghai sits astride the Huangpu River, daring you to try and take it all in. The Yuyuan Gardens are an island of serenity in the Old City. The old buildings and boutiques of the Bund evoke the Shanghai of the 1920s. And the Jin Mao Tower and the Shanghai World Financial Center are the architectural giants of the Pudong District. Best for cruise visitors to pick a destination, any destination and go. Or, just visit a tea house and let the day carry you where it will.
Shore Excursion Highlights
Cruise to Singapore
It's an island city-state, a World War II battleground, a global economic superstar, and a crossroads of the world. Cruise to Singapore with Holland America Line and in the space of a few hours you can relax in a Chinese teahouse, purchase a colorful sari in Little India and visit the gold-domed Sultan Mosque.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Taste of Singapore: Curry Luncheon: Get an introduction to the art of Chinese tea brewing before settling in for a curry luncheon at the Raffles Hotel.
- Around the Island: Tour stops include the Tiong Bahru "Wet" Market; Bright Hill Temple; and the Kranji War Memorial.
- Night Safari: Visit the world’s first wildlife park purpose-built to be viewed at night.
Cruise to Tokyo
Tokyo will overwhelm a cruise visitor unless … never mind. It's going to overwhelm you no matter what, so you best just go with the flow. Tokyo is a sensation: Walk out of Shinjuku Station some evening and into a neon canyon peopled with shoppers, professionals, and gawkers. Tokyo is a cadence: The Yamanote Rail Line threads through the city and trains arrive every few minutes. Systole, diastole, systole, diastole. Tokyo is a rhythm: Shop the ritzy Ginza. See the temples at Asakusa; the gardens of the Imperial Palace; or the Meiji Shrine. Duck into a funky boutique along Takeshita-dori or applaud the angel-headed hipsters at Yoyogi Park. Tokyo is a state of mind.
Shore Excursion Highlights
Cruise to Xingang (Beijing)
Beijing is ancient, older almost than imagining. The first human habitations date back some 700 millennia, to the very dawn of the human species. 24 emperors called it home. Today, it is the center of culture, education and politics in China. It is a leading city of the world. And it is a hive of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. There are places in and around the city so potent they've become touch points of our global psyche: Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, the Great Wall, and since the 2008 Olympic Games, the National Stadium (aka the "Bird's Nest"). Everywhere cruise visitors go they touch history.
Shore Excursion Highlights
- Beijing & the Forbidden City: Plus, Tiananmen Square and the Temple of Heaven.
- The Summer Palace & the Great Wall of China: See the lavish monument the Empress Dowager Cixi built for herself and the eternal Wall.
- Xian & The Terra Cotta Warriors Overland Adventure: An unforgettable three-day trip culminating in a visit to the Terra Cotta Warriors Museum.
Explore Hotel/ Tour Packages
Holland America Line's Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP) is available for purchase on Holland America Line Cruises and CruiseTours, and is offered as a Standard Plan or a Platinum Plan. CPP is designed to protect your vacation investment from loss. Be it illness, family matters, unforeseen work events - anything, CPP is a product that enables you to cancel your vacation plans before you leave, for any reason and receive a refund.
Four reasons to choose the Holland America Line Cancellation Protection Plan:
- YOU CAN CANCEL BEFORE DEPARTURE FOR ANY REASON. Even if it's up to 24 hours before departure under our Standard Plan or right up to departure with our Platinum Plan. For any reason whatsoever, your reservation may be cancelled with ease.
- YOU GET MONEY BACK. Only Holland America Line refunds 80-90% of eligible amounts paid, regardless of your reason for canceling, as long as you cancel more than 24 hours prior to departure (right up to departure with the Platinum Plan).
- SAME PRICE FOR ALL AGES. We offer the same excellent protection for everyone, at the same cost.
- NO PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS. Our Standard and Platinum Plans do not contain pre-existing condition exclusions.
Our Standard and Platinum plans at a glance
Unforeseen events do happen. When you book your next cruise, be sure to ask about our Cancellation Protection Plans to protect your cruise investment.
CPP Standard Plan – Provided by Holland America Line
Our Standard Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP Standard Plan) will allow you, for any reason, to provide written cancellation up to 24 hours prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive a refund equal to 80% of the eligible amounts paid. CPP Standard is available to all guests, regardless of residency.
In addition, Holland America Line (HAL) automatically assumes an additional $500 (USD) of liability for lost, damaged or delayed baggage of guests who purchase the CPP Standard Plan still subject, however, to the limitations in our baggage policies. For example, we do not cover losses while baggage is in the custody of airlines. Please review our Baggage Policy.
The CPP Standard Plan is not insurance, and is administered by Holland America Line; it provides no rights other than those explained above. For example, it does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel, nor does it cover expenses or unused services due to trip interruption.
Our Platinum Cancellation Protection Plan enables you to supplement the benefits provided under the CPP Standard Plan with higher cancellation reimbursement and extends the eligible cancellation period up until the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line. CPP Platinum also provides insurance coverage for trip delays and interruptions, medical expenses and much more. In addition, CPP Platinum includes 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance services. CPP Platinum is comprised of the following:
Cancel for Any Reason Waiver
Provided by Holland America Line
You may cancel for any reason prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive reimbursement equal to 90% of the eligible amounts paid to Holland America. Note: CPP Platinum does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel prior to departure.
TRAVEL INSURANCE PROGRAM
Underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company
- Trip Interruption: Enables you to cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for illness, injury or death to you, an immediate family member or a traveling companion, as well as certain other non-medical reasons affecting you or your traveling companion, and receive up to 150% of your cruise vacation cost.
- Trip Delay: If you miss the departure of your cruise due to carrier-caused delays or other specified reasons, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for additional accommodations, meals and “catch-up” transportation expenses.
- Baggage Protection: If your baggage or personal property is lost or damaged, you will be reimbursed up to $1,000. If your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for more than 24 hours, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal effects.
- Medical Expense Coverage: Should you become injured or sick during your vacation, you will be reimbursed up to $10,000 for medical expenses.
- Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation: In the event that serious illness or injury requires air or ground transportation to a specialized facility or to return home, you will be provided up to $50,000 in covered medical services and supplies (coordinated by our 24-hour assistance provider) to help ensure your safe transport. Repatriation coverage provides for shipment of remains in the event of death during the cruise vacation.
The Travel Insurance Program is underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company, a Transamerica company, Columbus, Ohio; NAIC #10952 (all states except as otherwise noted) under Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5000. In CA, HI, NE, NH, PA, TN and TX Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5100 and TAHC5200. In IL, IN, KS, LA, OR, OH, VT, WA and WY Policy Form #'s TAHC5100IPS and TAHC5200IPS. Certain coverages are under series TAHC6000 and TAHC7000.
WORLDWIDE EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE SERVICES
Provided by On Call International
Provides 24-hour assistance services including: pre-cruise health, safety and weather information; assistance with travel changes; lost luggage assistance; emergency cash transfer assistance; emergency medical and dental assistance; lost travel document assistance; and emergency medical payment assistance.
IMPORTANT: This is only a brief description of the program. Please refer to the link below for a summary of the terms, conditions, and exclusions. Note that the benefits and services provided in CPP Platinum are available only to guests who enroll in and pay the appropriate program cost to Holland America Line. Please note that payment of the required cruise deposit does not automatically activate enrollment in CPP Platinum Protection. In order to activate enrollment, you must pay the appropriate program costs in addition to the required cruise deposit amount. The CPP Standard and CPP Platinum Plans are optional and are available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue. Payment for the plan is due at time of purchase and is non-refundable. The per person, per cruise costs for both plans are listed with the cruise fares. To add our Cancellation Protection Standard or Platinum Plan to your new or existing cruise booking, please call us at 1-877-932-4259.
This program was designed and is administered by Aon Affinity Berkely Travel. Aon Affinity, is the brand name for the brokerage and program administration operations of Affinity Insurance Services, Inc.; (AR 244489); in CA, MN & OK , AIS Affinity Insurance Agency, Inc. (CA 0795465); in CA, Aon Affinity Insurance Services, Inc., (0G94493), Aon Direct Insurance Administrators and Berkely Insurance Agency and in NY and NH, AIS Affinity Insurance Agency. Affinity Insurance Services is acting as a Managing General Agent as that term is defined in section 626.015(14) of the Florida Insurance Code. As a MGA we are acting on behalf of our carrier partner.
For New York residents only: The Holland America Cancel For Any Reason Waiver may be purchased separately from the Travel Insurance Program. Contact 1-877-538-3815 for details.
This plan provides insurance coverage that applies only during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home and automobile policies. If you have any questions about your current coverage, call your insurer, insurance agent or broker.